Monday, February 4, 2008

Jump Back on the "Boo Becanic" Bandwagon

I think I've been good. I think I've been patient. But I'm going back to singling out the one thing that has significantly changed for Everett from last year to this one. Sure, there were some players who left (you can't fill shoes like Mueller or Zetariuk), but we still have a solid team.

So where does that leave us? That's right, with Head Coach John Becanic.

Now I might not be beating up on poor John, save for an article in the Herald that Leo pointed out to me earlier today. (In true Leo style he complained verbally but didn't have the fortitude to put together a coherent thought on the blog.)

It's just the epitome of a coach that doesn't get it. Here is our esteemed leader, talking about the loss to the (hated) Vancouver Giants:
"It's hard fought, and I like it," Everett coach John Becanic said. "I wish we
played them every game going into the playoffs. Win or lose it forces our guys
to play hard. They bring out the best in us and they bring out the passion in
our game. We just need to play like that against everybody."

Well, guess what, Coach? I liked it better last year when teams said that about us. When we played with passion game in and game out. Given where we are in the season, shouldn't the team have adapted to your harebrained "open-offense" strategy and tightened down the chances on defense? Shouldn't we be making a run for the playoffs? Heck, I think 10 or 15 of our "shots" on the Giants were dump-ins from behind the blue line that just happened to be toward Giant's netminder Sexsmith.

I give credit to Everett for bringing some physical play to the game (especially after the crazy road trip they were on!) because I felt they out-hit the Giants, but they gave up way too many quality chances. Leland was in a shooting gallery and even the Herald article correctly points out that we gave up 24 shots in the 3rd period, a number similar to what we would have given up in an ENTIRE GAME last year. Nice defensive strategy there, Becanic.

Is it time to don the paper bags? No, it's not that time, but only because we have leaders on the team like Harty, Gendur, and Beach. They might yet motivate this team to win, despite their young age. But it's a tough task to tell a kid to go out there, skate 20 shifts, take the punishment on the boards, and do the coach's job of being the bad guy. If any team could do it, I think it's the Silvertips.

But just to be safe, I'll ask for "paper" when I buy groceries at QFC this weekend.

4 comments:

theseatbehindyou said...

I have to agree with Hockey Tom, these kids have all the talent they need but don't stay focused and clearly are playing just up to the level of the competition.
Besides the "dump ins" our other 10(or so) shots were one timers from blueliners that are a very low percentage; get someone inside and leave them there! We are rarely in position for a rebound. I believe 3of the Giants goals came on passes or rebounds on the open side of the net; we had those chances as well but we were not in position to take advantage.

I'm still getting plastic, good luck in Spokane.

Anonymous said...

Hey Section 119 friends - Don't forget that the final day of Laurakah is Friday, February 8th! A group of us are meeting at Chopstix by the arena from 5:30pm to 7pm for drinks and apps before the game! Stop by!

silvertips chica said...

will that be paper or plastic?

theseatbehindyou said...

I'm leaning towards paper.